It’s inevitable that a majority of us will need to call a plumber at some point in our lives. Whether your plumbing breaks because of an accident, the daily wear and tear, or one of the many other reasons it’s bound to happen. And, whatever the reason, you’ll most likely be calling an expert for help. But, how do you know if you’re choosing a reliable plumber? How do you know if the pricing is fair? Many of us have never done this before, what makes a plumber a good plumber? These are all important and great questions to have answers to before making that initial call. We’re here to provide some answers and helpful tips on how to choose the right plumber for the job.
Our Plumber Suggests to Check These Things
- You want to ensure they have a license. Licenses are a REQUIREMENT for all practicing plumbers.
- Also ensure they have insurance in case of disasters. You don’t want them to get hurt in your home and try to hold you responsible.
- Before scheduling a visit, ask if they do background checks on employees. After all, the plumber will be entering your home, place of business, etc. and you shouldn’t have to worry about the broken plumbing and the plumber fixing it.
How Professional Are They?
- Yes, they are just “plumbers” but plumbers represent a business. Don’t work with a plumber who doesn’t treat you with kindness and respect!
- Ensure they are dressed appropriately for the job. Showing up in sweatpants and a ripped up t-shirt isn’t what we call “professional”.
- Don’t forget, professionalism also includes scheduling and invoicing. Arriving to appointments, scheduled phone calls, etc. should be on time and well organized in general.
Are they prepared for emergencies?
- A professional plumber should never put you off, tell you to wait, or act like your emergency is unimportant. He/she should also not panic and should help you feel more at ease about the situation after just a short phone call.
- They should have 24/7 availability for all urgent needs. A good plumber knows that you don’t ask for your kitchen to flood at a certain time, but you need it to be stopped ASAP!
- And, last but not least, they should obviously have the appropriate equipment to handle the urgent situation.
- A plumber has expertise in his/her field so prices can be higher than some expect. But, ensure they are not too high to a point where they are likely taking advantage of the situation. Also, take caution of plumbers who seem “cheap”. There could be a reason for this. For example, using low quality products for the repair or they may be inexperienced. Just be aware when getting estimates.
- Also, be weary of plumbers who provide an estimate over the phone without ever seeing the situation in person. How do they know how much it costs if they haven’t seen what they’re fixing? We don’t know how they do it!
- While it is expected that initial estimates will not match the total to the penny, they should be close. An experienced plumber understands we all have a budget and saying one price and charging another isn’t right or fair. But, also understand things may come about during the repair. A professional will discuss any options with you prior to acting on them if they suspect additional charges.
Look at Reviews
- A reliable, trustworthy plumber won’t, and doesn’t need to, hide their customer’s feedback. While no ones perfect, an average of ratings can give a good impression of the type of service you will receive.
Find a Local Plumber
- Typically, plumbing issues are an urgent matter so finding someone who can come ASAP is important. If you hire a non-local it could take quite some travel time, fitting in their schedule can be more difficult, and overall is typically a longer process from start to finish.
- Also, if there are further pressing issues, you want to be able to call the plumber familiar with the situation to take another look. It’s definitely more difficult to get the exact same plumber out to your house when the business is a large corporation.
- This may be stereotypical, but typically local plumbers have more respect for the town and the people in it. Also, unlike the big corporate plumbers, local plumbers are less focused on the money and more concerned with the service. All in all, TRUST LOCAL!
- Moonlight is the number one local plumber in Mystic, CT. But, don’t take our word for it. We let our work speak for itself and let our customers speak for the work. Read the reviews above to find out why we are the number one local plumber in Mystic.
See If We’re a Good Fit
Take this information and use it to choose the right plumber for the job. At the end of the day, you want a plumber who can fix the issue(s), but you also want to be treated with respect and feel assured your plumbing is in good hands. Talk to one of our plumbers today to see if we’re a good fit to help you!